By the numbers
|4000 Islands, Laos|
- Number of countries visited: 5
- Number of airports involved: 11
- Hostel, hotel or guesthouse beds slept in: 20
- Longest flight: 16 hours, Toronto to Tokyo
- Shortest flight: 45 minutes, Phuket to Bangkok
- Longest train ride: 7 and half hours, Ayutthaya to Khon Kaen
- Worst travel moment: Going from Kratie to Phnom Penh in a bursting-at-the-seams mini bus with a travel partner who had food poisoning.
- Best travel moment: There are two. Lounging by the Mekong in lazy but lovely 4000 Islands, Laos and deciding on a whim to make Cambodia part of our travels.
- Travel regret: Not getting to the north of either Laos or Thailand, which meant missing Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang.
- Place I would absolutely go back to: Cambodia
- Weirdest travel moment: Being on a hike in Laos and having locals want to get their picture taken with us.
|Bayon temple, Angkor Thom|
We left for Bangkok February 3rd and after a few layover in Tokyo arrived in Bangkok around 10 p.m. and started our two month adventure. We stayed in Bangkok for five days, the first three of which involved a lot of mental breakdown due to jet lag. There were tears, there were fights and then once the jet lag wore off, we were normal people again. We moved every three to five days and packed a ton of travel into two months but every bus, train, plane or ferry ride was worth it.
A few other 2012 travels
We are planning another two month trip this winter, to Singapore and Malaysia, with a potential visit to Indonesia. No flights are booked yet, but we're aiming to leave the first week of February! I'll keep you posted on the plans.
What was your year in travel like? Where are you going next?